KUCHING -- An alleged planned protest against Sarawak Chief Minister Abdul Taib Mahmud did not take place at Padang Merdeka here today, police said.
Padang Merdeka was quiet and peaceful, just like on any Sunday afternoon.
Several tourists were spotted walking across the field while a few police MPVs were seen being driven around, apparently monitoring the area.
Kuching police chief ACP Mun Kock Keong said police monitored the area, but there was nothing unusual to report.
"It was good when nobody showed up for the protest," he told Bernama.
A circulating short messaging service (SMS) stated that a protest against the Sarawak chief minister had been arranged for 2pm today at Padang Merdeka and asked recipients to "either join in or avoid the area due to expected traffic congestion".
It was not known who was behind the sending of the SMS or the alleged planned protest.
Yesterday, the Movement for Change, Sarawak (MoCS) chief Francis Siah denied that the movement was behind any such protest.